Welcome to Radio Talking Points Dot Com
This website is dedicated to improving the relevance and profitability of Radio advertising for the advertiser, the salesperson and the Radio company, in that order.
- I Don’t Need to AdvertiseIn Radio advertising sales, you will inevitably encounter a prospect who says they don’t need to advertise because they have all the business they can handle. For most salespeople this can be especially frustrating because your whole premise for the sales call is to help the business owner grow the business! Sometimes I think there […]
- The First Radio CommercialThe first Radio commercial was broadcast on August 28, 1922. The station was WEAF AM in New York City. It was owned by AT&T. The commercial was for a real estate development called Hawthorne Court Apartments in Jackson Heights, a neighborhood in the borough of Queens. The apartment complex was owned by the Queensboro Corporation. The […]
- The Future of Search Begins with a Radio CommercialThe goal successful advertising is to be known before you are needed. The biggest mistake in advertising is waiting to be found. In other words, there are two kinds of advertising, active or passive. Active advertising, like Radio advertising, builds Top of Mind Awareness. In marketing, top-of-mind awareness (TOMA) refers to a brand or specific […]
- TV Uses Radio Advertising to Drive ViewershipThree networks are among the top 10 national advertisers on AM/FM for the week of Sept. 24-30: Disney’s ABC is No. 4, Fox is No. 5 and CBS is No. 8. With hundreds of new and returning TV series launching in September and October for the fall season, television is turning to radio to promote […]
- Four Keys to Improved Agency RelationsWorking with advertising agencies doesn’t need to be adversarial. You are in charge and you can change your situation by changing what goes into your brain. Here are Four Keys to Improving Agency Relationships. Don’t Assume the Agency Knows How to Buy Radio. How effective would your local salespeople be if you just sent them […]
- Radio on Main Street Podcast Featuring Bill Lynch, General Manager of Momentum BroadcastingOne of radio’s greatest strengths is making a difference in the local marketplace. In this edition, Erica Farber, President and CEO of the RAB speaks with Bill Lynch, General Manager of Momentum Broadcasting which operates four radio stations in Visalia, California. Ranked number 108 in market size, the cluster has a strong local presence and […]
- “School’s Out For Summer”Author: Annette Malave, SVP/Insights, RAB “School’s out forever!” Who doesn’t love that song by Alice Cooper. No matter the generation, it’s a lyric everyone knows. We know it’s July but guess what? School isn’t really out forever. August is National Back-to-School month. According to the National Retail Federation, 55% of Back-to-School (BTS) shoppers plan their […]
- Radio on Main Street Podcast Featuring David Halberstam Publisher of the Sports Broadcast Journal WebsiteOn July 1, 1987, WFAN, the first sports talk radio station in the country, debuted in New York City. Thirty-two years later sports radio is alive and well and can be heard in cities across the U.S. The success of the format is centered around the facts that sports are live, they provide excitement, make listeners feel […]
- Radio Gets You (a) HomeAuthor: Annette Malave, SVP/Insights, RAB There are many important events in life – graduating, accepting a job, getting engaged or married and, of course, buying a home. Important? Maybe. Stressful? Absolutely! If you haven’t had the experience, I’m certain that you know someone that has purchased, is in the process of doing so, or is […]
- The Connection Between Radio and Independence DayAuthor: Annette Malave, SVP/Insights, RAB This Thursday, July 4th, Americans across the country will celebrate Independence Day. On this day, well over 80% of adults across age groups will celebrate in some way, according to the National Retail Federation. Celebrations will consist of barbecues, picnics, parades and, of course, watching fireworks. Fireworks are not just […]
- June 24, 2019 July 19, 2019Cover Q&A: Entercom’s Pat Paxton | The Best Program Directors In America | 9 Tips To Succeed As A PD In 2019
- Host Bitten By Shark While Vacationing July 19, 2019Melissa Chase co-hosts mornings for Summitt Media's WURV-FM in Richmond. She's on vacation in Sunset Beach, North Carolina this week where she's really going out of her way to get some great content for the show when she returns Monday.
- Saga Employee Celebrates 50 Years With Station July 19, 2019Because "I just love radio." That's what WHMP-FM Massachusetts Traffic Manager Barbara Kuschka told The Daily Hampshire Gazette when writer Dusty Christensen asked her why she never left the radio station.
- iHeart Back In Business On Wall Street July 19, 2019iHeartMedia CEO Bob Pittman and COO Richard Bressler rang the opening bell at the NASDAQ in New York City Thursday to commemorate the listing of the Company’s Class A common stock. The stock trades on the NASDAQ under the ticker “IHRT.” As you can see, by the picture that follows, the two executives brought along […]
- EMF Names Reeves New CEO July 19, 2019Educational Media Foundation — parent company of K-LOVE and Air1 Contemporary Christian radio networks — has named Bill Reeves, founder and President of the WTA Group, as CEO.
Pierre Bouvard is Chief Insights Officer at CUMULUS MEDIA | Westwood One. Pierre and his team are doing some of the most consequential research on the performance of Radio advertising.
- How Multi-Touch Attribution Helps CPG Brands Tackle Seven ChallengesSee seven factors changing the CPG ecosystem and learn how multi-touch attribution can help brands improve conversions and increase market share.
- Sampling is the Key to Representative Person-Level MeasurementIt’s not practical, feasible or necessarily a good idea to try measuring consumer behaviors by engaging with as many people as possible. That’s where sampling comes in.
- Battle of the Brands: Consumer Disloyalty is Sweeping the GlobeOnly 8% of global consumers are committed to the brands they purchase. That’s an alarming stat, and it highlights the challenge brands face as they seek to engage with consumers and retain them.
- The New Black Friday? Prime Day’s Halo Effect Spans Beyond Gadgets (and Amazon Itself)How big will this year’s Prime Day be? While there’s little doubt that it will continue on its upward trajectory, the growth areas might surprise you.
- Quarter By Numbers: Q1 2019Our first-quarter 2019 report covers 66 countries across five regions. This quarterly series provides a global snapshot of what’s going on in our markets today.