Welcome to Radio Talking Points Dot Com
This website is dedicated to improving the relevance and profitability of Radio advertising for the advertiser, the salesperson and the Radio company, in that order.
- I Don’t Need to AdvertiseIn Radio advertising sales, you will inevitably encounter a prospect who says they don’t need to advertise because they have all the business they can handle. For most salespeople this can be especially frustrating because your whole premise for the sales call is to help the business owner grow the business! Sometimes I think there […]
- The First Radio CommercialThe first Radio commercial was broadcast on August 28, 1922. The station was WEAF AM in New York City. It was owned by AT&T. The commercial was for a real estate development called Hawthorne Court Apartments in Jackson Heights, a neighborhood in the borough of Queens. The apartment complex was owned by the Queensboro Corporation. The […]
- The Future of Search Begins with a Radio CommercialThe goal successful advertising is to be known before you are needed. The biggest mistake in advertising is waiting to be found. In other words, there are two kinds of advertising, active or passive. Active advertising, like Radio advertising, builds Top of Mind Awareness. In marketing, top-of-mind awareness (TOMA) refers to a brand or specific […]
- TV Uses Radio Advertising to Drive ViewershipThree networks are among the top 10 national advertisers on AM/FM for the week of Sept. 24-30: Disney’s ABC is No. 4, Fox is No. 5 and CBS is No. 8. With hundreds of new and returning TV series launching in September and October for the fall season, television is turning to radio to promote […]
- Four Keys to Improved Agency RelationsWorking with advertising agencies doesn’t need to be adversarial. You are in charge and you can change your situation by changing what goes into your brain. Here are Four Keys to Improving Agency Relationships. Don’t Assume the Agency Knows How to Buy Radio. How effective would your local salespeople be if you just sent them […]
- Radio on Main Street Podcast Featuring Bruno Tabbi, President of IgnitionToll FreeHave you ever been in a car listening to a radio spot for a product or service that interested you and then they asked you to call them? You didn’t have a pen handy nor did you have anything to write the phone number on. In this edition, Erica Farber, President and CEO of the […]
- Radio’s Amazing NumbersAuthor: Annette Malave, SVP/Insights, RAB Radio is an extension of every part of us. It’s our ears that listen. It’s our fingers that touch the dial or app. It’s our eyes when we want to know the traffic. It’s our heart when we hear the songs that we grew up with, and it’s our soul […]
- Radio on Main Street Podcast Featuring Gabe Hobbs, President of Gabe Hobbs MediaAccording to Nielsen’s PPM data for the period January through November of last year, the News/Talk format captured the largest share of the 6+ audience with 10% of all listening being in the format, which likely benefited from the election cycle. In this edition, Erica Farber, President & CEO of the RAB, speaks with Gabe […]
- Reaching African American and Hispanic Listeners AcrossThe Infinite DialContributor: Laura Ivey, Director of Research, Edison Research Today’s environment of almost unlimited audio choices means advertisers and stations must craft targeted messages and personalized outreach to listeners. The more we understand consumers, the better we are able to speak to them, which brings importance to the understanding of ethnic listeners and their digital media habits. Edison […]
- Radio on Main Street Podcast Featuring Leigh Jacobs, Executive Vice President of Research Analysis at Nuvoodoo Media ServicesResearch can be a great tool to help us understand more about a specific topic or subject. With information at our fingertips , it allows us to not only learn but it allows us to reach new conclusions. In this edition, Erica Farber, President and CEO of the RAB speaks with Leigh Jacobs, Executive Vice […]
- Radio Mercury Awards Extended Deadline: Monday, April 22 April 20, 2019If you want to enter the 28th Annual Radio Mercury Awards, you now have until midnight EDT, this coming Monday, April 22.
- Chester Pulliam Passes April 19, 2019Chester was an Arkansas radio legend who will be missed by his many fans, who knew him as Chester P. He passed away April 16, 2019, and was a staple on Northwest Arkansas radio for over 20 years.
- SEND US YOUR BLAST FROM THE PAST April 19, 2019Thanks to our friends at djmastercontrol.com for this classic of Don Sherwood from KSFO San Francisco -- one of the greatest morning men in radio history. Send your Blast From The Past photo to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Daniels Takes New Morning Job April 19, 2019Gordie Daniels has landed the morning co-host role on Y102/WHHY-FM in Montgomery, AL. He has teamed up with Tommy Fields for The Gordie and Tommy Morning Show. Daniels was previously heard on WJHM-FM in Orlando, FL, and WLLD-FM in Tampa, FL.
- Who Are The Best Program Directors In America? April 19, 2019It's time for you to make your nomination for Radio Ink's Best Program Directors in America list. In 2018, Jim Ryan (WCBS/WNEW), John Ivey (iHeart CHR President), Chris Conley (WLTW), Mark Chernoff (WFAN), and Thea Mitchem (WWPR) were some of the great programmers near the top of our list. Will we see new names in […]
Pierre Bouvard is Chief Insights Officer at CUMULUS MEDIA | Westwood One. Pierre and his team are doing some of the most consequential research on the performance of Radio advertising.
- Becoming Shopper-Centric: Price, Promotion and the Overall Value EquationBy placing the shopper at the center of decision making, manufacturers can better collaborate with their retailer partners to address the inefficiencies of trade spend—one of the largest costs of doing business.
- How Podcast Advertising Measures UpFor podcasters looking to attract advertisers, demonstrating proof of performance isn’t just a nice-to-have—it’s quickly becoming a need-to-have. And while download metrics can help advertisers understand which podcasts are popular, they don’t tell brand managers anything about the impact their podcast ads have on customers.
- The Database: Turning Shopper Disloyalty into Brand OpportunityWhile choice and access are fantastic for shoppers, manufacturers and retailers now have an incredible burden to bear—make an offering so great that consumers won’t seek an alternative elsewhere.
- Infographic: How to Use Data to Conduct a Retail Line ReviewCPG manufacturers with the right sales data are better equipped to handle line reviews with their retailers. Here are the 5 data sets you need and how to use them.
- Mindful Cosmetics Consumers Want Beauty with HeartThere are many ways to create a community of beauty consumers that are loyal to retailers and brands. But don’t be overwhelmed: It’s not too late to join the conversation with your beauty consumers—they’re listening, and they’re more than happy to connect directly with you to provide their feedback.