Welcome to Radio Talking Points Dot Com
This website is dedicated to improving the relevance and profitability of Radio advertising for the advertiser, the salesperson and the Radio company, in that order.
- I Don’t Need to AdvertiseIn Radio advertising sales, you will inevitably encounter a prospect who says they don’t need to advertise because they have all the business they can handle. For most salespeople this can be especially frustrating because your whole premise for the sales call is to help the business owner grow the business! Sometimes I think there […]
- The First Radio CommercialThe first Radio commercial was broadcast on August 28, 1922. The station was WEAF AM in New York City. It was owned by AT&T. The commercial was for a real estate development called Hawthorne Court Apartments in Jackson Heights, a neighborhood in the borough of Queens. The apartment complex was owned by the Queensboro Corporation. The […]
- The Future of Search Begins with a Radio CommercialThe goal successful advertising is to be known before you are needed. The biggest mistake in advertising is waiting to be found. In other words, there are two kinds of advertising, active or passive. Active advertising, like Radio advertising, builds Top of Mind Awareness. In marketing, top-of-mind awareness (TOMA) refers to a brand or specific […]
- TV Uses Radio Advertising to Drive ViewershipThree networks are among the top 10 national advertisers on AM/FM for the week of Sept. 24-30: Disney’s ABC is No. 4, Fox is No. 5 and CBS is No. 8. With hundreds of new and returning TV series launching in September and October for the fall season, television is turning to radio to promote […]
- Four Keys to Improved Agency RelationsWorking with advertising agencies doesn’t need to be adversarial. You are in charge and you can change your situation by changing what goes into your brain. Here are Four Keys to Improving Agency Relationships. Don’t Assume the Agency Knows How to Buy Radio. How effective would your local salespeople be if you just sent them […]
- Radio on Main Street Podcast Featuring Greg Strassell, SVP Programming for Hubbard RadioOne of Radio’s greatest strengths is talent, and talent are defined as those both on the air as well as those off the air. In this edition, Erica Farber, President and CEO of the RAB, speaks with Greg Strassell, SVP Programming for Hubbard Radio. Having competed with and observed the Hubbard Radio culture, he now […]
- Political Media Buying 2020: Still Way Too Early PredictionContributor: Leo Kivijarv, Ph.D., Executive Vice President & Director of Research, PQ Media In June, I posted two RAB blog posts regarding the upcoming 2020 elections. I stated that PQ Media is forecasting $8.33 billion is going to be spent by candidates and their PACs, as well as by special interest groups supporting/not supporting ballot […]
- Radio on Main Street Podcast Featuring Brad Deutsch, Principal of the Law Firm Garvey Schubert Barer, P.C.Whether it be claims stated in an ad, contest rules, required paperwork for political to social media and posting photos online, the one question that always must be asked is, is it legal? In this edition, Erica Farber, President and CEO of the RAB speaks with Brad Deutsch, Principal of the law firm Garvey Schubert […]
- Local Radio is More Important Than EverAuthor: Annette Malave, SVP/Insights, RAB In mid-July, a local newspaper that has been in existence for 233 years announced that it would be cutting its print version to only three days a week. In an interview, the director of one of the local universities responded: “It’s devastating to communities. Not only do they lose their […]
- Radio on Main Street Podcast Featuring Brian Wieser, Global President, Business Intelligence, GroupMThe advertising industry, like the radio industry, is focused on continuing to gather and analyze actionable marketplace intelligence to provide their clients with insights and intelligence on markets, audiences, partners and platforms to name a few. In this edition, Erica Farber, President and CEO of the RAB speaks with Brian Wieser, Global President, Business Intelligence, […]
- KLOS/Los Angeles Hires Doug 'Sluggo' Roberts As New APD/MD August 24, 2019MERUELO MEDIA Classic Rock KLOS/LOS ANGELES has named DOUG "SLUGGO" ROBERTS their new APD/MD. ROBERTS posted the news on his FACEBOOK page saying, "Starting MONDAY 8/26, … more
- ALL ACCESS ACTION August 24, 2019DAVID MCGILVRAY, JEFF SANDERS, DAVE LOMBARDI, BRUCE RAVE, TROY MARSHALL, KITTY NEELY, KAREN VAUGHN, MARIO LANE, JAY DIXON, BIG X, REID ALEXANDER, ROB ACAMPORA, RANDY ADAMS, KEVIN SCOTT, DJ … more
- 'Yoga Girl' Launches Daily 5-Minute Podcast Via Cadence13 August 23, 2019RACHEL BRATHEN has expanded her “YOGA GIRL” brand to a second podcast, this one a five-minute daily advice show. "YOGA GIRL DAILY" is a spinoff of the weekly long-form … more
- Taylor Swift Decides To Get Political August 23, 2019TAYLOR SWIFT, who recently announced plans to re-record her old music so the new owner of her catalog won't profit as much from it (NET NEWS, 8/22), is now plunging headfirst into the … more
- Americana Conference And Awards Show To Celebrate 20 Years; New Day Stage Added August 23, 2019The AMERICANA MUSIC ASSOCIATION is set for its 20th annual AMERICANAFEST – which includes THE AMERICANA HONORS & AWARDS SHOW and AMERICANA CONFERENCE -- taking place SEPTEMBER … more
- General Manager August 23, 2019SEARCH REOPENED Looking for the Very Model of a Modern Major General Manager The above opening is in Bellingham, Washington, in the great Pacific Northwest, located between the Cascades and coastal San Juan Islands (talk about beauty and recreation, this has it all). A high quality of life in a market of several hundred thousand, […]
- Promotions Director August 23, 2019Max Media is searching for a promotions director to join our wining team in Denver, Colorado. This opportunity allows you to live in one of the best cities in the country, working within a modern, well-equipped, and active broadcast facility, with an award-winning team. At a minimum, but not limited to, this position will include […]
- Morning Show Producer | FM Newsradio 100.7 KXLY 920 August 23, 2019FM Newsradio 100.7 KXLY 920 is part of the KXLY Radio Group, a Morgan Murphy Media company. We are a family-owned, people first business located in Spokane, Washington, and our community is at the core of what we do and who we are. About this opportunity: FM Newsradio 100.7 KXLY 920 is Spokane’s News, Traffic […]
- Why Sebastian Believes His New Format Will Work August 23, 2019When was the last time a new format came along, stuck around and made money for managers across the country? Is it really possible to come up with a brand new format these days? One that actually generates advertiser interest? John Sebastian says yes, yes indeed.
- Malibu Station Operating On Solar Power August 23, 2019When a fire hit Malibu last year KBUU was there for the community, broadcasting vital information, until the fire burned through wires and shut the station down. The station has come up with a very sunny backup plan.
Pierre Bouvard is Chief Insights Officer at CUMULUS MEDIA | Westwood One. Pierre and his team are doing some of the most consequential research on the performance of Radio advertising.
- Considering a Play in the Cannabis Sector? Here’s What You Need to KnowThe cannabis market isn’t an easy arena to navigate, especially for brands that would like to capitalize on the groundswell but aren’t familiar with the minutiae of the sector. As a result, many U.S. brands and retailers are grappling with how to navigate for the future of the CPG market—one where cannabis stands to be […]
- Finally, a Reason to Celebrate the Length of an MLB GameUnlike elsewhere in the world, corporate sponsorships on professional sports jerseys in the U.S. are far from commonplace. With an inside baseball view of how lucrative they could be for the MLB, however, going mainstream might be just around the corner.
- Nielsen TV: The Power of Influence Along the Latinx Consumer JourneyWith the benefit of 24/7 connectivity and the ability to crowd-source opinions with the tap of a screen, today’s path to purchase is rapidly being influenced by others. But for members of the Latinx community, recommendations carry significantly more weight.
- La Oportunidad LatinxIn the U.S. today, Latinx consumers are melding the physical and digital worlds to create personalized, culturally relevant shopping experiences on their own terms.
- The True Magic of Data ScienceWhile some may equate data science as pulling rabbits from hats, this thinking is misguided. But this is largely because the vast majority of people don’t understand the workings of data science.